| iteslj.org/games |
Kim's Game on Video
Level: Any Level
The traditional "Kim's Game" uses a tray full of objects to stretch the memory and vocabulary of the players. This version uses moving pictures. Therefore, a larger range of vocabulary, word classes, and phrases can be elicited.
1. Select any sequence that scans over a large number of objects, people or includes many actions.
2. Allow players to view the segment once. They are not allowed to take notes.
- The opening of "Masterpiece Theatre"
- The opening of "Miami Vice"
- The toy store in "Home Alone II"
- A display of quiz game prizes
3.Individually or in groups, form a list of as many of the objects, people or actions in the scene as can be remembered.
4. Play the scene again using still frames to check off the things on the list. Score one point for each correct item but minus one for any item on the list that is
not in the scene.
Narrow the range of things allowable on the list.
- Things that start with (pick a letter of the alphabet).
- Things that are (pick a color or quality).
- Things made of (pick a material).
- Things used for (pick an action).
Submitted by Donna Tatsuki
Copyright (C) 1998 by The Internet TESL Journal