ESL : Dictionaries and Reference Materials
There are currently 10192 registered links.
This is a sub-page of
The Internet TESL Journal's
Links of Interest to Teachers and Students of English as a Second Language
Main Page | Links for Students | Links for Teachers | What's New
|iteslj.org / links||Links of Interest to Students & Teachers of English as a Second Language|
- Acronyms, Jargon, Abbreviations, and Rubbish (AJAR) (G. Morgan)
- A very large list with definitions. (PDF files)
- All Words Dot Com
- Search words, hear pronunciation, see English meaning and translations.
- Cliche Finder (S. Morgan Friedman)
- Even rarer ones like 'Enough money to burn a wet dog.' (1996)
- CMU Pronouncing Dictionary (Carnegie Mellon University)
- Over 125,000 words. / North American English.
- definr.com - Online English-English Dictionary
- No advertising to clutter up the page.
- Dictionarist - Online Talking Dictionary (Ugur Catak)
- An online dictionary with translations in 15 languages. Text-to-Speech synthesized voice.
- Dictionary of English Slang and Colloquialisms Used in the United Kingdom (Ted Duckworth)
- Jump directly to the A page.
- Dictionary of English Usage from the Hutchinson Encyclopaedia
- For native English speakers. Browse or search 1,600 entries. It's free to use.
- Differences between British, Canadian & American Spelling (Karen Bond)
- centre=centre=center; cheque=cheque=check; etc.
- Differences between British, Canadian & American Vocabulary (Karen Bond)
- adverts = commercial break = commercial break; edgeways=edgewise=edgewise; etc.
- Ectaco Dictionaries Online [FRAME]
- English to Albanian, Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, Farsi, French, German, ...
- eLook Online Dictionary
- You can search for a word or browse through all 144,000+ words.
- en.bab.la/dictionary - Multilingual Online Dictionary (Andreas Schroeter)
- Translate from English to 15 other languages.
- Enchanted Learning's Online Picture Dictionary - A [FRAME]
- aardvack, acid rain, acorn, Acrocanthosaurus, acute angle, ...
- English - Turkish Dictionary
- Turkish-English online dictionary
- Event Information for Today (Craig J Copi)
- Information for today and what events happened on this date in the past
- Forvo.com- Visitor-contributed audio of pronunciation.
- Some of these are much higher quality than others.
- FreeLang - Freeware Bilingual Dictionary Program (Stephane Rousseau)
- For Windows Only: One program, various word lists that you can use for free.
- Frengly Online Translator
- Just remember that computer translations are not perfect and sometimes terrible.
- From Language to Language - Bilingual Online Dictionary for a Few Languages
- English, Spanish, German, French, Turkish, Italian and Russian
- G. Morgan's Abbreviation Dictionary
- Heinle's Newbury House Dictionary of American English (Monroe Allen Publishers, Inc.)
- See the 'Word of the Day' or search for a word.
- Hutchinson Encyclopedia
- It's free. You can search or browse. It's not designed for ESL.
- Internet Public Library - Reference Section
- "Can't Connect Error" the last time we tried. It may be OFFLINE.
- JustTheWord - Find Word Combinations
- justify your choice of words or suggest improvemen
- Language Bob (Language Bob)
- A free Firefox add-on that translates select words in your browser to English
- List of Dictionaries
- A large list of links to online dictionaries.
- Little Explorer's Picture Dictionary
- Click the letters at the top of the page, see words, pictures and definitions.
- Logos - Online Children's Multi-lingual Dictionary with Pictures
- See an image, the English word and its translation into many languages.
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English Online (Pearson Education)
- A dictionary for learners of English
- Macmillan Online Dictionary
- In British English and American English
- Maran.com's' 3D Dictionary
- A glossary with illustrations. Words related to computers and the Internet.
- Memidex Online Dictionary/Thesausus
- A WordNet interface
- Merriam-Webster OnLine - The Language Center
- Although it's a commercial site, there are many free and useful things available.
- NinjaWords - A Really Fast English-English Dictionary
- Searches of Wiktionary
- One-Look Dictionaries
- You can input the word once and then search many dictionaries for the word.
- OneLook Dictionaries (Robert K Ware)
- Searches through over 470 online dictionaries. Output links to those pages.
- Online Dictionary of Language Terminology (Jon Steeves)
- A dictionary of English grammar, etymology, and semantics terms
- RhymeZone - Rhyming dictionary
- Input a word and get a list of words that rhyme.
- SA Online Dictionary - English-Bulgarian (Stefan Angelov)
- Enter a word and get its translation.
- The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing
- The King's English (By H.W. Fowler 1908) (Project Bartleby)
- A grammar book written in 1908 for native English speakers.
- The Rap Dictionary [FRAME] (Patrick Atoon)
- Information on hip-hop slang or artists.
- The Wordsmyth English Dictionary-Thesaurus (Robert Parks)
- An ARTFL Project
- Turkish English Online Dictionary 600,000 words and idioms
- Largest turkish english online dictionary with hear word and double-click option
- UsingEnglish.com - 's Word Checker (Adam King & Richard Flynn)
- Check a word's grammar and usage. (Lots of advertisements.)
- UsingEnglish.com - Glossary of English Grammar Terms (Adam King & Richard Flynn)
- Words such as: accent, acronym, acrostic, active, adjunct, affix, ...
- Vancouver Webpages - Synonym Dictionary
- generates copyright-free lists of English synonyms for a search engine.
- picture to words, to audio. (lots of advertisting)
- VLC Net Dictionary (Chris Greaves)
- No nonsense, fast dictionary with no advertising.
Activities for ESL Students
Quizzes, Puzzzles, ...
The Internet TESL Journal
Monthly Online Journal
Interesting Things for ESL Students
Quizzes, Puzzzles, ...