ESL : Idioms and Slang
There are currently 10192 registered links.
This is a sub-page of
The Internet TESL Journal's
Links of Interest to Teachers and Students of English as a Second Language
Main Page | Links for Students | Links for Teachers | What's New
|iteslj.org / links||Links of Interest to Students & Teachers of English as a Second Language|
- American Slang
- American Slang for ESL students
- Animal Idioms and Expressions (www.DogHause.com)
- Some of these idioms are not commonly used. However some are.
- Answers.com's Idiom Pages
- a bad sort, a bit, a bolt from the blue, a closed book, a crying shame, ...
- Australian English Glossary from A to Zed
- Berko, Bikies, Damper, Floater, Joey, ...
- Australian Words & Phrases (Sally Lawrence)
- Ankle-biter = infant; Arvo = afternoon, Croc = crocodile, etc.
- Caroline Brown's English Lessons - Phrasal Verbs
- Study with examples, then try the Flash quizzes.
- Comenius Group's Idioms
- This is only a partially functioning website located at web.archive.org.
- Common American Slang (Charles I. Kelly & Lawrence E. Kelly)
- Over 280 Common American Slang Expressions in a Quiz Format
- Dave's ESL Slang Page (Dave Sperling)
- English slang, explanations and examples.
- Dictionary of American Idioms (ruslib.com)
- Scroll past the Russian and you'll find all 8,000 idioms here all on one page.
- DogHouse.com's Animal Idioms and Expressions (Holly M. Burns)
- work like ants, bark up the wrong tree, blind as a bat, (Some are rarely used.)
- English Daily - American Slang Expressions (Hon Long)
- See the expression, its definition and an example sentence.
- English Language Idioms (Vancouver English Centre)
- 101 idioms with explanations and examples
- Everyday English and Slang in Ireland (Gerry Coughlan)
- afters = dessert; ages = long time; agro = fight; ,,,
- RSS FEED: Get used to American slang by getting dayily idioms via this RSS feed
- Global English Salon - Idioms (David Temple)
- Color Idioms, Animal Idioms and Body Part Idioms (Windows Media Player Required)
- GMAT Idiom List (Raman Virk / Sukhi Singh)
- Idioms and example sentences.
- Go English - Today's English Idioms (Adam Sullivan)
- Get the meaning and origins of English idioms on fast-loading pages with no advertising.
- GoEnglish.com - Daily Idiom & Browsable Idiom Dictionary (Adam Sullivan)
- After seeing the daily idiom, you can click to the next or previous idiom.
- Hakan's ESL (English As a Second Language) Pages (Hakan Senturk)
- An idiom quiz, a slang quiz, a 'common errors' quiz and bookstore.
- Idiom Page (Dennis Oliver & Dave Sperling)
- A collection of about 200 idioms
- Idiom Site . Com (Over 200 English Idioms) (Eric Borgos)
- 1 idiom per page: absent without leave, doubting Thomas, chow down, deadline, ..
- IdiomQuest.com (Coral Tree Media)
- Search for commonly-used American idioms and slang expressions.
- Idioms, Slang & Phrasal Verb Quizzes (The Internet TESL Journal)
- See the answers right away. Produced by teachers around the world.
- John Finley's Idioms (John Finley)
- One idioms per page. Examples and uses. It's raining cats and dogs and others.
- John`s ESL Community - Idioms (John Erskin)
- Includes meaning and usage with an example sentence.
- Learn American Idioms by Example (Hon Long)
- Smell a rat, go to the dogs, fishy, for the birds, horse around, ...
- Learn English with the Idioms Collection (Diego Riesco)
- Idioms and set phrases along with black and white cartoons.
- 8,000 idioms with sentence examples.
- Paint by Idioms (FunBrain.Com)
- Multiple-choice questions for native English-speaking children, but OK for ESL.
- Phrasal Verbs Page at Dave's ESL Cafe (Dennis Oliver & Dave Sperling)
- About 180 phrasal verbs, each with a definition and an example sentence.
- Slang Dictionary (by Distance Learning, Inc) @ geos.dli.com
- searchable or browsable by category
- Slang Dictionary (by Distance Learning, Inc) @ www.bostonlanguage.dli.com
- searchable or browsable by category
- Slang uses of the word 'dog' (Ian Evans)
- A page which lists all the slang, and idiomatic, uses of the word 'dog'
- Some Irish Slang (Trish Loughman)
- Acting the maggot, Bags, Banjaxed, Bold, Culchies, Flitters, Holliers, ...
- sportsidioms.com - American English Sports & Games Idioms (Jean Henry)
- Sports and Games idioms for the Student of American English
- The Online Slang Dictionary - A Collaborative Project (Walter Rader)
- For native English speaker to use as a reference. Not for memorization.
- The Phrase Finder (Gary Martin)
- Browse a list of phrases: bed of roses, bee in your bonnet, dead ringer, ...
- The Septic's Companion: British Slang Dictionary (Chris Rae)
- A dictionary of British slang, with audio pronunciations.
- Toon into Idioms (Adam Rado)
- Toons and Voices or Text. Idioms illustrated with cartoons.
- Twists, Slugs and Roscoes: A Glossary of Hardboiled Slang (William Denton)
- Alderman, Babe, Bing, Bop, Chick, Cop, Dame, Flat, Fry, ...
- UsingEnglish.com - A Dictionary of English Idioms and Idiomatic Expressions (Adam King & Richard Flynn)
- You can find one sentence per page with the idiom. No definitions
- UsingEnglish.com - Phrasal Verb Glossary (Adam King & Richard Flynn)
- The phrasal verb, its definition and a sample sentence.
- Wayne Magnuson's Idioms Web Site
- Mirrored web site at idioms.myjewelz.com
- Winfield College - Idiom Page
- 'Make ends meet' and 7 other idioms. 1 idiom per page along with an ad.
- American slang, example sentences
- www.englishbaby.com - Slang
- Has 1 slang expression. Apparently changes each week. Includes advertising.
- www.EnglishClub.com - English Slang (EnglishClub.com)
- Slang words, with definitions, sample sentences, notes and quizzes.
- www.EnglishClub.com - Idioms and Idiomatic Expressions - A through Z (Selected)
- English idioms with explanations, examples and quizzes.
- www.EnglishDaily626.com - Learn American Idioms (Hon Long)
- Examples and definitions.
Activities for ESL Students
Quizzes, Puzzzles, ...
The Internet TESL Journal
Monthly Online Journal
Interesting Things for ESL Students
Quizzes, Puzzzles, ...