TESL : Internet : Teaching with the Web
There are currently 10192 registered links.
This is a sub-page of
The Internet TESL Journal's
Links of Interest to Teachers and Students of English as a Second Language
Main Page | Links for Students | Links for Teachers | What's New
|iteslj.org / links||Links of Interest to Students & Teachers of English as a Second Language|
- An Overview of The Internet TESL Journal's Things for ESL Teachers and Activities for ESL Students (Charles Kelly)
- In addition to publishing articles, this online journal offers other things on its website.
- BionicTeaching.com - Bob on Blogs (Tom Woodward and Jim Coe)
- Download the PowerPoint or Keynote presentation.
- ChitCh.at - Educational Network
- Put lessons online. DRAWBACK = You have to give students your email address.
- Claroline - Open Source eLearning and eWorking platform
- Build online courses; manage learning and collaborative activities (MySQL)
- CNN Money - Best Places to Live
- Not designed for ESL, but good for a lesson on describing places.
- Critical Evaluation Surveys (Kathleen Schrock)
- Evaluation forms which you can use with your students to help them be able to critically evaluate a Web page for authenticity, applicability, authorship, bias, and usabilty.
- Dave Sperling's Speech about Teaching ESL using the Internet - Streaming Real Audio
- Click this link to stay online and listen to a streaming RealAudio file.
- DimDim - Free Open Source Web Meeting Software
- Presenters must use Internet Explorer 6 or Firefox 1.5 on Windows (XP/2000/2003)
- An open source e-learning and course management web application.
- Duke University Podcasting Symposium (MP3 Files) (September 27-28, 2005)
- If you are considering using podcasts with your students, then listen to this.
- Elegg - Elgg is an open source social platform.
- Requires PHP 4.3, MySQL 4.1, Apache web server with mod_rewrite installed
- ETNI's Keypals Page
- Teachers can post requests for keypals and read request by other teachers.
- Getting More Out of Hot Potatoes (Gordon Bateson)
- How to modify Hot Potatoes quizzes to get detailed info sent to the teacher.
- Getting Your Class Connected
- Some ideas on using e-mail and homepages. By Dennis E. Wilkinson, The Internet TESL Journal, September 1996
- Gong: Voice Communication on the Web (Requires Windows?)
- Set up your server for an audio discussion board / Moodle module, online recorde
- Grow Your Own: Online Placement Testing
- By Maggie Sokolik and Jim Duber, TESL-EJ, June 2002
- How to Create Web-based Culture Capsules (Michael Krauss)
- A student web project you can do with your students. Presented at ORTESOL 1998
- How to make 'The Daily English Show' (Video) (Sarah Lilburn)
- This is how it is done. Maybe you can do something similar.
- Incorporating Audio into Moodle (Irshat Madyarov)
- You can add audio to forums, journals, Wikis and glossaries.
- Internet Activities for Foreign Language Classes (Lewis Johnson)
- How to Write Activities for the Web, Web Lesson Evaluation Form, ...
- Internet Evaluation Webquest
- By Kathleen P. King, Tools for Teachers, February 27, 2001
- Introduction to the Internet for ESL Students (James Christensen)
- Requires a wide screen and uses tables, so it is a little bit slow.
- Jing - Freeware Mac or Windows to Create ScreenCasts (Video or Slides)
- Teachers can easily explain to students how to do things. Narration is possible.
- Kuwait University Unified Remedial English (Buthaina Al Othman)
- Six General English Internet Lessons. Perhaps other teachers will find them useful, too.
- Language Education Chat System
- a chat room for ESL/EFL learners, teachers & researchers
- Language Professional's Guide to the World Wide Web (Carolyn G. Fidelman)
- (1996) CALICO Journal, Volume 13 no.s 2 & 3
- Mike Capstick's Quiz Generators
- Match the Terms, Memory Meter, etc. Create quizzes for your website.
- MoBlog.co.uk - camera phone mobile blogging community
- Free, take pictures and videos with your camera phone and blog with them.
- Moodle is a course management system (CMS) - a free, Open Source software packag
- Moodle Tutorials - Videos (Rowan Chakoumakos)
- Over 10 short videos (YouTube Style) to help teachers learn to use Moodle.
- Online Strategic Interaction: ESL Role-Playing via IRC
- A description of an Internet-based exercise that uses Strategic Interaction over an IRC network to practice writing.
By Christopher M. Colburn, The Internet TESL Journal, June 1998
- Projects Using the Internet in College English Classes
- By Victoria Muehleisen, The Internet TESL Journal, May 1997
- Question Creation Activity Module for Moodle (Peter Ruthven-Stuart)
- requires students to create questions either on their own or in groups
- SakaiProject.org - Collaboration and Learning Environment (CLE) for higher education
- An open source CMS (Course Management System)
- Syllabus for 'Computers and English Education'
- Other teachers teaching a similar course might find this useful to look at.
- Teaching ESL listening comprehension through podcasting (Volker Hegelheimer)
- project overview
- Ten Tips for Effective E-Mail (Ellen Dowling)
- It's for native English speakers, but could easily be adapted for ESL students.
- The Daily Word on the Web: How I Use It
- By Tomoyasu Kimura, The Internet TESL Journal, March 1997
- The Design and Utilisation of an Internet Resource for Business English Learners
- By Michael Vallance, The Internet TESL Journal, October 1996
- The Internet and Foreign Language Education: Benefits and Challenges
- By Meena Singhal, The Internet TESL Journal, June 1997
- The Internet for English Teaching: Guidelines for Teachers
- An article by Mark Warschauer & P. Fawn Whittaker, The Internet TESL Journal, October 1997
- The Internet in the EFL Classroom (Johan Graus)
- An evaluation of the usefulness of the Internet in the EFL classroom
- The Internet Mini-Course (Helen Hoyt Schmidt)
- It's by an ESL teacher.
- The Roadmap to the Internet (BeOnTheNet Inc.)
- Free Lessons on How to Use the Internet by Patrick Crispen
- A free tool to send students to specific sites, and tell them what to do there.
- Web Projects for the ESL/EFL Class: Famous Japanese Personages
- By Thomas N. Robb, Vol. 6, No. 4 of the CAELL Journal (Winter 1995/1996)
- Web-Based Lesson Plans for Adult Literacy (David J. Rosen)
- Women's History, Getting Around Boston, ..., some links are outdated.
- WebQuest Page (Bernie Dodge)
- 'Treasure Hunts' 'Scavenger Hunts; Examples, a 'Rubric' rating system, ...
- WebQuest Taskonomy: A Taxonomy of Tasks (Bernie Dodge)
- Retelling, Compilation, Mystery, Journalistic Tasks, ... (1999)
- World Wide William - A Shakespeare Project
- By Iwona Filip, Teaching English with Technology, August 2002
Activities for ESL Students
Quizzes, Puzzzles, ...
The Internet TESL Journal
Monthly Online Journal
Interesting Things for ESL Students
Quizzes, Puzzzles, ...