TESL : Vocabulary
There are currently 10192 registered links.
This is a sub-page of
The Internet TESL Journal's
Links of Interest to Teachers and Students of English as a Second Language
Main Page | Links for Students | Links for Teachers | What's New
|iteslj.org / links||Links of Interest to Students & Teachers of English as a Second Language|
- 502 Words that Can Be Learned with Total Physical Response (TPR) (Reid Wilson)
- stand up, sit down, walk, stop, turn left, turn right, ...
- 6,000 most frequently used English words (Bruce Zhang)
- Ranked by frequency and linked to an online WordNet dictionary
- A short (20,000) word dictionary of English (Mike Hammond)
- Search by spelling, number of syllables, stress pattersn, frequency or combo.
- Big Doggy's Word Lists (Brian Wagner)
- Perhaps useful for materials writers. -ABLE, -AGE, BIO-, CON-, -FUL, etc.
- A concordance generator for the Macintosh (Beta version is freeware.)
- Daulton's Japanese Loanwords & English Vocabulary Acquisition Homepage (Frank E. Daulton)
- Daulton's research papers online.
- Differences between British, Canadian and American Spelling and Vocabulary (Karen Barnes)
- Just what the title says it is.
- Forbidden Words, Expletives and Obscenities
- Introduction to American English, University of Tampere
- FreeText Archive (Freeware) (Mark Zimmermann)
- Concordance software: Mac HyperCard Stack and 32-bit DOS version
- Homophone Zone (Alan Cooper)
- The site uses a 'modern' web design that may not work for your browser.
- List Frequency Search (Department of Psychology, University of Essex)
- Input a list of words and get their associated frequencies per million.
- List of High-Frequency Baseword Vocabulary for Japanese EFL Students
- By Frank E. Daulton, The Internet TESL Journal, July 1999
- List of High-Frequency Baseword Vocabulary for Japanese EFL Students #2
- By Frank E. Daulton, The Internet TESL Journal, March 2003
- MyWord.info - Study Prefixes (Bob Ware)
- anti, arch, auto, bene, circum, co, counter, de, dia, en, ...
- Paul Nation's vocabulary programs (DOS Software)
- Can be used for looking at the occurrence of various levels of vocabulary.
- Second language vocabulary resourses (Rob Waring)
- Word lists, 23,000+ item bibliography, links and papers
- Simple Concordance Program (Alan Reed)
- Freeware for 32bit Intel Windows 95/98/NT4/ME/2000
- Simplified English (Userlab Inc.)
- See the link to the 34 pg. PDF file on rules and approved vocabulary.
- The Business Emporium - Advertising Vocabulary (Chris Yukna)
- Vocabulary list with definitions and 3 related pages.
- Two Thousand Regularly Decodable Words (Douglas Corin)
- only one sound per alphabet letter and only the single sounds of the alphabet
- Variation in English Words and Phrases (Mark Davies)
- Quickly and easily search the 100 Million Word British National Corpus. It may be a little confusing for students to use without guidance from a teacher.
- Web Concordancer (Chris Greaves)
- Simple Search / Associated Words
- Web Vocabulary Profiler (Tom Cobb)
- Paste in text and see the number of words by frequency level.
- Web Vocabulary Profiler (Paul Nation / Tom Cobb)
- Paste in text and get it back color-coded according to word frequency.
- Why example sentences in dictionaries are more important than definitions. (Tomasz P. Szynalski)
- An article aimed at high level ESL students.
- www.englishforitaly.com - Hear Country Names with British English Pronunciation (Jacqueline Cooper, Derby, England)
- www.ESLsite.com - Animal Idioms (Lesson Idea) (Frank Black)
- Brief introductory ideas and a handout for the students.
- www.ESLsite.com - Your Own Lexicon (Lesson Idea) (Frank Black)
- Give each student a word, they look it up, then explain it to other students.
- www.EverydaySpelling.com (Addison Wesley Longman, Inc.)
- For native English speakers, G1 to G8. Puzzle Place, Words in the News, Lists, .
- www.forumeducation.net - ESL/EFL teachers' vocabulary (Sven Cederberg)
- A world wide project to assess the vocabulary of non-native ESL/EFL teachers
- www.tefl.net - ELT Industry Terminology (Tara Behari)
- A guide to the abbreviations and acronyms commonly used in the ELT world.
- www.TheIrregularVerbs.com (Adolfo Bieri)
- The Irregular Verbs with examples and funny cartoons
- z_Concordances of Great Books (William A. Williams, Jr)
- Texts and Fully Searchable Concordances
- z_z_www.4-esl.com [FRAME] (Diana Campbell)
- Note: Site has problems when visited with Netscape 4.8. Flashcards with pictures, ...
- zz_Paul Nation's Computer Programmes to Examine Vocabulary in Texts
- Only for Windows.
Activities for ESL Students
Quizzes, Puzzzles, ...
The Internet TESL Journal
Monthly Online Journal
Interesting Things for ESL Students
Quizzes, Puzzzles, ...