A Part of Conversation Questions for the ESL Classroom.
Disabilities and Handicaps
- Do you have a handicap?
- Do you know anyone with a handicap?
- What are some handicaps that people have?
- Have you ever parked in the handicapped parking area?
- How are handicapped people treated in your country?
- What do you feel when you see a handicapped person?
- What can you do to help handicapped people?
- Does your country have special training facilities for handicapped people?
- What are some types of disabilities?
- Did you ever know someone with a disability?
- What was it like to work/talk/play with them?
- Were they smarter or less smart than yourself?
- How would you feel to find out your best friend was _______? (going blind, going deaf, losing their legs, etc)
- How would you feel to find out you were _______? (going blind, going deaf, losing their legs, etc)
- Do disabled people have anything of value to add to society?
- If you see or meet a disabled person, what actions should you take?
- What are ways that disabled people can compensate for their weakness?
After a blindfolded walk, relying on a partner...
- How did you feel starting the walk?
- Did you trust your partner?
- How do you feel now? How do you feel about your partner? (closer/more trusting...fearful)
- What did you learn about disabled people?
- What are things you had to do because you were blind?
If you can think of another good question for this list, please add it.
Copyright © 1997-2010 by The Internet TESL Journal