A Part of Conversation Questions for the ESL Classroom.
Family and Alternative Lifestyles
- Can you describe a typical family in your country?
- Who is the head of the household in a typical family in your country?
- Do many wives work in your country?
- What kinds of jobs do they have?
- If parents are both working, does this cause more or less stress in a family?
- If a wife works outside the home, should the husband help with the housework inside the home? Why or why not?
- Are there many divorces in your country?
- What impact does divorce have on a family in your country?
- What happens to the divorced people?
- What happens to their children?
- Are there many single-parent families in your country?
- Are they usually headed by men or women?
- What do you think of married couples who decide not to have any children?
- Do single women in your country ever decide to have a baby and raise the child by themselves? What do you think about this kind of decision?
- Where do grandparents live in your country?
- Do grandparents help to look after their grandchildren?
- Who should take care of old people?
- Do unmarried couples live together in your country these days?
- What do people in your society think about this kind of arrangement?
- Do people in your country ever decide to remain single and not create a family?
- If so, what does the rest of your society think?
- Is it necessary to get married to have a good life?
- Do people who are not related by blood ever live communally in your country?
- Is polygamy allowed in your culture?
- Is it OK to have more than one spouse?
- Would you like this life style?
- What countries allow this?
- What religions allow it?
- What do you think of people who get married many times?
- Do children in your country ask for their parents' approval before they get married? Why or why not?
- Does the whole family discuss important decisions?
- When do children leave their parents' home in your country?
- When do parents' stop giving financial support to their children?
- Who in your family would you turn to if you had an emotional problem? Why?
- If you had a financial problem, would you expect your family to help?
- What is a perfect family or alternative lifestyle for you?
If you can think of another good question for this list, please add it.
Copyright © 1997-2010 by The Internet TESL Journal