A Part of Conversation Questions for the ESL Classroom.
- What's the meaning of "homosexual"? And "heterosexual"?
- Are there many words in your language to refer to homosexuals?
- About how many of them would you say are not offensive?
- How is it being gay in your country?
- Do you know anyone who is gay?
- How about any celebrities?
- Or any historical figure?
- Are there any gay characters on a current TV series?
- Could you tell us about them?
- Do you think gay people have enough role models in our society to identify themselves with?
- Do you think those references portrait a positive image of the gays?
- Do they help the gay community to enhance their self-esteem?
- What's the meaning of "homophobia"?
- In your view, is there homophobia in our society? If not, why?
- Do you believe that the gay community is being discriminated against in any way?
- If so, why do you think there is such discrimination?
- What problems do you think someone goes through when they find out they are gay?
- Do you think they should try to change?
- In your opinion, should they say they are gay?
- What do you think your parents' reaction would be if you told them you are gay?
- Do you think one of them would take it better / worse?
- Do you think their first reaction would persist or would it change?
- How about your best friend's reaction?
- How would you react if one of your children told you they're gay?
- What are the main problems gays have to face at college?
- Is it easier for a gay to live in a village or in a city?
- Is being gay more difficult in some countries than others?
- In your opinion, can a gay be a religious person?
- What main problems do gays have in the military?
- In what ways does the gay community try to tackle homophobia? Are they being successful?
- What main achievements have they had in the last 25 years?
- How important are gay associations or organizations?
- Do you think being lesbian is viewed as being worse, the same or better than being gay in our society?
- Are they simply ignored?
- Could you name any famous lesbian through history?
- Do you believe gays and heterosexuals have the same rights? Do they have equal duties?
- What's your opinion on gay marriage?
- What do you think of adoption by gay couples?
- Do you think homosexual families can bring up children as well as straight families? If not, why?
- Is AIDS a major problem for the homosexuals only?
- What do you know about this disease?
- How do you think it is transmitted?
- Could you define the word "stereotype"?
- What stereotypes do you know about gays?
If you can think of another good question for this list, please add it.
Copyright © 1997-2010 by The Internet TESL Journal