A Part of Conversation Questions for the ESL Classroom.
- Describe a mistake or something you should not have done since being in university.
- Can you explain the process of registering for a class/course?
- What celebrations/festivals/events do you enjoy the most? Why?
- What's the best advice you would tell a brother/sister or friend who is now entering college?
- What's the best excuse you've heard or given for missing a class?
- How has your life changed since beginning college?
- How much note taking do you do in most of your classes?
- How often do you reread or organize your notes from a professor's lecture?
- What are some advantages in studying with sophomore/junior/senior students/friends or with older students?
- If you wanted to, when could you fit in more study time?
- What do you fear most about next semester's classes?
- What was your biggest fear before you began your freshman year of college?
- How much of the course material is covered by the professors in your classes?
- During classes, do you like working in student groups or working alone? Why?
- What are some advantages of studying alone? Disadvantages?
- What are some advantages of studying in groups? Disadvantages?
- Do you prefer to study with friends/classmates or to study alone?
- Do you have easy access to your professors outside of class?
- How often do you read ahead for your classes?
- What can/do you do if you fall behind in your classes?
- What do you plan to do during the summer vacation?
- What's your biggest motivation for your university life?
- What can you do if you don't like your roommates?
- Are the counselors at school helpful?
- What's your favorite spot on campus?
- What's your favorite way to take a 'short' break from studying at night?
- What do you miss most about your home and your hometown?
- What's your best memory? What's your worst memory?
- Are you a member of any student organization?
- What extracurricular activities are you involved in?
- If you were not attending college now, what would you be doing? Where? Why?
- What are some qualities of a good student?
- What are some qualities of a good teacher?
- How do you travel to your classes everyday?
- What advantages are there to home schooling?
- How can classes or classrooms be improved?
- What would be the effect?
- If you became president of your university, what changes would you make? Why?
- If you became president of your university, which rule would you abolish (cancel)?
- What is the biggest difficulty in being a college student?
- Why is a college education important?
- What does a college education provide?
- How much is tuition do you pay?
- What kinds of scholarships are there for students at your school?
- What must you do to receive a college diploma?
- Where is the best place for you to study? Why?
- How many hours do you spend on homework or studying each night?
- What do you do on campus when you're not studying?
- Which class or subject is most important for your future job?
- What is your favorite class or subject? Why?
- How can a student receive a scholarship?
- How many back-to-back classes do you have?
- What is a disadvantage of back-to-back classes?
- Why are you attending college?
- After your grade point average (GPA), what is the 2nd most important thing in college?
- Do most of your professors or instructors take attendance? Why?
- How often do your professors let class out early?
- Which do you prefer more, morning or afternoon classes? Why?
- What time does your first class begin tomorrow?
- The cost of university education is becoming very expensive in many countries.
- How can we make the cost of education more affordable to the general public?
If you can think of another good question for this list, please add it.
Copyright © 1997-2010 by The Internet TESL Journal