A Part of Conversation Questions for the ESL Classroom.
- Do you want to become a soldier?
- Is being a soldier compulsory in your country?
- Would you volunteer to become a soldier?
- Why does your country have an army?
- Which army would you join if you had to?
- Would you be a conscientious objector if your country went to war?
- Which job would you like to have in the army?
- Is having an army a waste of money in your country?
- What are some of the jobs that soldiers do?
- Would you fight for another country other than your own?
- How can countries prevent conflicts when other nations are not trying to bring peace?
- Do you think women should be soldiers?
- Have you been in the military?
- Is there a special day to honor veterans in your country?
- What is military service? Is it compulsory in your country?
- Do you know of any countries where military service is compulsory?
- Do many young people in your country join the army? Why/why not?
- Do you know anyone who is in the army or who has been? Tell me about him/her.
- What do you think of people whose job is in the army?
- Do you think soldiers are well paid?
- Have you ever lived in a country at war?
- If you were the partner of a soldier who had just been sent to fight in a war, what would you include in his luggage?
- What things would you like to send your partner in the army?
- What do you think soldiers away from home miss the most?
- What do you think soldiers find the most difficult to get used to?
- What do you think is the average age for soldiers in the world?
- Why do you think people want to become soldiers?
- What should countries do to prevent conflict when other nations in the world are not trying to bring peace?
- How can the world be peaceful when other countries are not trying to bring peace.
- Is war necessary?
- Has anyone in your family ever fought in a war?
- Does war have any positive consequences for mankind?
- If war could be eliminated entirely, would there still be a use for armies?
- Do you have a problem with women fighting in wars? Why or why not?
- What are your feelings towards the military?
- What kind of person makes an ideal soldier?
- What causes countries to engage in a war?
- What cause would you fight/die for ?
- Do you think it is morally wrong to kill ?
- How could people resolve conflicts instead of through war ?
- What do you understand by the phrase "might is right" ?
- Can you think of a war that you believe was justified ?
- What is a hero ?
If you can think of another good question for this list, please add it.
Copyright © 1997-2010 by The Internet TESL Journal