A Part of Conversation Questions for the ESL Classroom.
- Why do people immigrate to other countries?
- What is the reason you moved out of your country to move here?
- Is immigration from one country to another a problem? In what ways do you see it as a problem?
- Do you know any immigrants?
- Do you think that immigrants are treated well in in most countries?
- Do you think there is a relation between immigration and crime?
- Should any government limit the number of immigrants entering the country? What would be a good number?
- Is local culture threatened by immigration?
- How far should immigrants retain their culture?
- Should immigrants have the same rights as native citizens?
- Is there a difference between political and economic immigration?
- Should immigrants have the right to vote? In which elections?
- What should be done with the illegal immigrants entering a country?
- Should the country of origin of illegal immigrants be held responsible?
- Do immigrants have a good or bad reputation in your part of the country?
- Should students be allowed to wear clothes with cultural or religious symbolism at school?
- Do you think immigrants are treated with more suspicion now than they were a year ago?
- Do you know anyone that is married to an immigrant?
- Do you know any people who have emigrated from your country?
- Would you ever think of emigrating?
- Why would you think of emigrating?
- What would be some of the issues that would concern you about emigrating?
- Are there a lot of immigrants in your community?
- Do immigrants in your community isolate themselves into a certain area?
- Should immigrants be required to learn the local language?
- How would you help an immigrant learn the local language?
- How would you encourage children of immigrants to become bilinqual by maintaining the original language and becoming fluent in the local language?
- Should immigrants be educated in their original language or the local language?
- To what extent should official documents be written in several languages to accommodate immigrants?
- Are immigration regulations too strict? In what way should they be changed?
- How long should immigrants be required to live in the new country before they can become naturalized?
- What should be the requirements for naturalization?
- How does an immigrant become a citizen in your country?
- How does immigration affect the economic situation in your community?
- To what extent has the culture of your community become richer by immigrants?
- How is your community incorporating immigrants into the life of the community?
- How would you define the word "home"?
- Should employers who employ illegal immigrants be penalized?
- Should illegal immigrants be deported?
If you can think of another good question for this list, please add it.
Copyright © 1997-2010 by The Internet TESL Journal