A Part of Conversation Questions for the ESL Classroom.
Pope John II
- Do you know his full name? (Karol Wojityla)
- Where was he born? (Wadowice, Poland)
- What was his birthdate? (May 18, 1920)
- Where did he live? Vatican City (Rome)
- When was he elected Pope? (Oct. 16, 1978)
- How many Popes have there been including him? (He was the 264th Pope)
- When was he the victim of an attempted assassination? (May 1981)
- How many trips to foreign lands had he made? (more than 100)
- When did he die? (April 2, 2005 at 9.37 p.m. [Rome time])
- Can you name any other Popes? (John XXIII/John Paul I /Paul VI (1963-1978))
- Where were you when you heard the Pope had died?
- What were your first thoughts when you heard he had died?
- Why was he known as "the Globetrotter Pope"?
- Can you name any cities or countries he visited?
- Did he ever visited your city or country?
- When did he visit?
- Did you see or meet him?
- What do you know about him?
- Why was he important?
- Why did people admire him?
- What did he do for humanity?
- What was his approach towards children?
- What was his approach towards other religions?
- How was he different from other Popes?
- When did he receive the then Soviet premier Mikhail Gorbachev at the Vatican? 1989
- What was his political approach towards the East?
- How is a Pope elected?
- Have you ever visited the Vatican City? When?
- Did you see St. Peter's Square?
- Did you see the Vatican Museum?
- Did you see the Sistine chapel Chapel?
- Who built St. Peter's Square? (Bernini)
- When was it built? (1656 - 1667)
- How long did it take to build St. Peter's Square? (More than 300 years)
- Can you describe it?
- Did you like it? Why or Why not?
- Who painted the dome of the Sistene Chapel? (Michelangel)
- How long did it take him to paint it? (1506 - 1512)
- Can you name any famous paintings in the Sistene Chapel?
- Can you describe it?
- Which painting did you like the best? Why?
- Which did you like the least? Why?
- When was the last Holy Year? (2000)
- What is the significance of the Holy Year? (One year of remission of sins and the punishment for sins. The reconciliation among enemies)
- What does a Pope do to initiate the Holy Year? (The Pope knocks three times with a silver hammer at the holy door, the door is then opened. The Pope will cross the doorway carrying a candle in his left hand and a cross in his right hand. The ritual is then repeated in the other churches [four in all])
- What do you do during the Holy Year? (We visit the four churches in Rome and pray for remission)
- Can you name the four churches in Rome we visit? (St. Peter's/San Giovanni in Laterano/Santa Maria Maggiore and San Paolo)
- When was the first Holy Year celebrated? (In1300 by Pope Boniface VIII)
- Did you visit Rome during the Holy Year? If yes, did you like it?
- Do you know any history of Rome?
- Would you be interested in learning about Rome? Why or why not?
If you can think of another good question for this list, please add it.
Copyright © 1997-2010 by The Internet TESL Journal